Freedom of Information Act
All Illinois municipalities - including the Village of Forsyth - fall under the provisions of the Illinois Freedom of Information Act, 5 ILCS 140/1 et seq. Any person wishing to view or obtain copies of Village records may submit a written request to view and/or receive copies of records and submit it to Village Administrator Heather Kimmons, the Village’s appointed Freedom of Information Officer.
The following are instructions on how to file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with the Village of Forsyth.
- Please make your request for records in writing. The Village does
not require the completion of a standard form for this purpose, although
for your convenience, a form which you may complete is provided herein.
You may submit your written request by mail, fax or e-mail. Please
direct your request to:
FOIA Officer – David Strohl
Village of Forsyth
301 S. Us Route 51,
Forsyth IL 62535
- Please be as specific as possible when describing the records you are seeking. Remember, the Freedom of Information Act is designed to allow you to inspect or receive copies of records. It is not designed to require a public body to answer questions. Please tell us whether you would like copies of the requested records, or whether you wish to examine the records in person. You have the right to either option.
- There is no fee for up to 50 pages of standard paper copies. For pages beyond 50, there is a .15-cent-per-page charge, which you may be asked to pay in advance of receipt of your copies.
- You are permitted to ask for a waiver of copying fees. To do so, please include the following statement (or a similar statement) in your written FOIA request: “I request a waiver of all fees associated with this request.” In addition, you must include a specific explanation as to why your request for information is in the public interest—not simply your personal interest—and merits a fee waiver.
- Please include your name, preferred telephone number(s), mailing address, and, if you wish, your electronic mail address.
- The Village has five working days from its receipt of your written request to provide the records to you or take other appropriate action. If the Village denies a request for public records, the requestor will be notified in writing of the decision to deny, the reason for the denial including the factual basis for the application of the exemption claimed, and the name(s) of the persons responsible for the denial. The requestor shall also be informed of the right to rview by the Public Access Counselor in accordance with 5 ILCS 140/9.
Forms & Documents
FOIA - Requisite Postings (117 KB)
^ Back to Top ^